endive and duck gratin
- Preparation Time 10 min
- Cooking Time 55 min
- Portions 4
- 454 g (1 lb) of endives
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 duck leg confits, bones and skin removed
- 500 ml (2 cups) dry white wine or chicken broth
- 2 pears, peeled and cut into quarters
- 750 ml (3 cups) homemade or store-bought bechamel sauce
- 100 g (3.5 oz) Gruyere, Swiss or your choice of cheese, grated
- Bread crumbs, salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Butter one or more baking dishes.
- Cut endives in half and remove tough base. Set aside.
- In a large pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add shallots and duck meat, cook 1 minute. Add in white wine, endives and pears. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook 8 – 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend bechamel sauce and half of the cheese.
- Transfer endive and duck preparation to baking dishes. Pour over bechamel sauce, sprinkle with bread crumbs and remaining cheese.
- Bake 45 minutes.
Replace duck confit with chicken, ham or roast pork leftovers.